- Subscription tickets are on sale now. Individual tickets go on sale August 27th, 2022.
- This concert will be approximately 70 minutes in length.
- After a 20 minute intermission, there will be a post-show discussion open to the public.
- All prices include service charges and taxes.
- Artists and programmes are subject to change without prior notice.
- Tickets are non-refundable, non-exchangeable.
In 1986, not long after Derek Jarman was diagnosed with AIDS, the filmmaker and queer activist purchased a small fisherman’s shack in Dungeness on the southern coast of England. During this period, Jarman maintained a memoir of his experiences, creating a garden in a harsh environment, surviving AIDS, and looking back on his relationships, his art and his activism.
It was published a few years later as Modern Nature. Unruly Sun is a music-theater work featuring eighteen songs inspired by this memoir and created by Canadian composer Matthew Ricketts and famous American librettist, Marc Campbell whose operas have received both a Pulitzer Prize in Music and a GRAMMY Award.
This is a world premiere in collaboration with BrottOpera, 21C Festival & Pride Montreal, and is presented as part of World AIDS Day.
A music-theatre work inspired by Derek Jarman’s memoir, Modern Nature
Music by Matthew Ricketts / Libretto by Mark Campbell
Karim Sulayman, tenor
OCM string quintet & piano
Michel-Maxime Legault, stage director
Anne-Catherine Simard Deraspe, lighting